Thursday, May 25, 2006

So much work

Somehow it seems that whenever I have tons and tons to write about, I just don't have the time to write it. Work right now is crazily busy. We're moving offices and planning our big event, so things are a bit crazy. BUT my coworker has been annoying me about writing about the wedding, so here we go.

First of all, I've already gotten in trouble with Spyboy for being snarky. And it was Indiana and Indiana can be tacky. And she is a nice girl; not exactly who I hoped the groom would have married, but I hope they are very happy for them. So, rather than making judgement calls or being snotty (I'm desperately worried that someday, somehow she might see this page), I will just point out the things about the wedding that made me go, "hmm... not exactly what I would have done." First thing: I would not have a Catholic wedding. Not being Catholic, this one is easy to understand. Plus, while I'm perfectly okay with Catholics, Catholic doctrine, particularly the "no one else can take Communion and since you aren't taking communion, we are better and holier than you are" attitude. Second thing: I would not have basic barbeque sandwiches or a beer truck at my reception. Again, though, this was Indiana, and they were trying to be cheap. Luckily, they provided champagne for the wedding party tables, where, thanks to Spyboy, I was seated.

Now, the aforementioned things did not make me want to laugh at all. I noted them, but did not not them so I could tell people about them later. The following I did.


First of all, these are close to the shoes that the bridesmaids wore. With the lights and everything. It took me a while to notice because the dresses were floor-length, but when I did, I was taken aback. Well, that's not true. The first girl I noticed with them was the junior bridesmaid, who was in her young teens, so I thought it might be fun for her. THen I noticed that they ALL had them.

Second thing, but first thing I noticed. She was wearing a plastic crown. Now, I'm all for a tiara. I think. I haven't quite decided. But if you can't wear a tiara on your wedding day then when can you? But a crown? Then I thought, maybe it's a Catholic thing. I don't know. But plastic? I mean, I know you are trying to save money, but...

Third thing, not as obvious, but made me giggle. She beadazzled her own dress. That is right, she bought a wedding dress with a toule skirt and beadazzled it. She did the veil, too. Scariest thing: Spyboy and Spyboy's mother may have liked it...

Now, I have no intention of getting married for quite some time. But I have ideas. Most of my ideas might be a bit formal and uppity for her. But if she's at my wedding, and if I marry Spyboy she probably will be, she is perfectly allowed to make snarky comments to whomever she wants but me. I was thrilled, though, when I found someone to be snarky with at the reception. It was much fun and kept me from exploding. Plus Spyboy doesn't approve, but I have to talk about these things with someone...

4 comments:

Liberal Banana said...

Wow, that stuff is HILARIOUS! I wouldn't have been able to keep it to myself either. I hate weddings as it is - so much money gets wasted! - but a PLASTIC CROWN. Good god.

Rebecca said...

Yeah, I'm trying really hard not to judge her too harshly, mainly because the groom is my boyfriend's best friend. It's been REALLY hard...

Anonymous said...

Becca, I can assure you that crowns (plastic or otherwise) are not a staple at Catholic weddings...at least not in Ohio. Those shoes are scary! I think they would be more appropriate for the Bachelor party, and not the wedding. I hope Spyboy doesn't hate me for saying that. (By the way, should I refer to him as Spyboy on your blog, or is that just for you?)

Rebecca said...

Scot: Good point. And they didn't get to wear crowns either. And they all could have had a dress beadazzling party! Maybe instead of a bachelorette party...

emily: Yeah, I wondered. I didn't think crowns were all Catholic, but I was really trying to give her the benefit of the doubt. And you can call Spyboy whatever you want. I just got tired of being all "my boyfriend." ANd he won't get mad. I think the problem is that he secretly agrees with me, but is trying to trust Paul.