Monday, July 24, 2006

KITTY


This is my kitty. I love my kitty. She is strange and wonderful and a little whiney, actually, in that she enjoys meowing. A lot. In a high pitch tone. For no good reason. She also enjoys frantically running around my studio, so you'll be sitting there, watching tv and see something gray and white dart across the room and dive under the bed. Then she peeks out to see if it's safe and then darts behind the chair or into the closet. It's highly entertaining. She has a little bit of a hurt leg (no, she didn't get hurt with me! It was her previous caretakers.) Apparently, she pulled a muscle when she got her claw stuck in something and couldn't get it out. Which I can understand. Those claws are freakishly prickly and I am going to cut them as soon as I get some cat-nail clippers. She also completely passes out when she's sleeping, enough so that Spyboy and I can transfer her from lap to lap with her hardly noticing. I have named her (I think. I'm still not 100% settled on it.) Cassie, short for Cassiopeia. Sorry, Michelle. Spyboy wanted to name her after an actual person, too, but I couldn't think of anyone I'd want to name my kitten after. He was all, "Be like Lorelai and Paul Anka and you have to use teh full name." When I asked him for suggestions of a person, he kept coming out with people like Jessica Simpson or Britney Spears. I am NOT naming an animal after people like them. Plus, with Cassy, if I get another cat in the future, I can name her Andromeda and call her Andy. Sigh. I wish I were at home with my kitty right now. Though she is probably tearing up the apartment. When I left, she was doing that weird little hoppy thing that cats do when they are curious about something, but afraid of it at the same time. She also tried to climb my fridge. The sadest thing, though, is that she keeps looking for her siblings to play with. She sees reflections of herself in the tv, then goes behind the tv to find the cat back there. And she runs around mewling. It breaks my heart. I know she'll get over it soon, but still. I just want her to be happy...

5 comments:

Liberal Banana said...

Aw, she's SO CUTE!!! I love kittens. I mean, I'm allergic and all, but they're freakin' ADORABLE! I think Cassy is a lovely name. I enjoy calling animals by entire names, too. At the shelter, Navy has turned into Navy Bean. Delta has turned into Delta Burke. Coulter has turned into Ann Coulter, even though I don't hold it against him (it's a male dog). And so and so forth. Enjoy your new friend!

KassyK said...

As a Kassy...I will DEFINATELY say that I can 100% endorse that name and as a cat person...I can totally relate. If you treat them playfully and with love and hugs and attention...they grow up and stay kittenish...thats how my cat is. Thinks she is a dog and STILL plays and snuggles all the time.

She loves her kitty condo...complete with 3 scratching posts and a hiding spot. People should know that cats are just as fun as dogs (I love dogs too btw).

:-) Enjoy and your little sweetie and she is ADORABLE.

Rebecca said...

Liberal Banana: The whole name thing is pretty cute. I might give Cassy a last name, too. I'm thinking Mc-something or other. Just for fun.

Kassy: Playful cats are SO much fun. My parents' newest cat is the most doglike cat I've ever seen. He comes when he's called. But seeing him run around after fake mice is just hysterical. Luckily for me, too, he doesn't like the kitty condo my mom bought for him, so she's sending it for Cassy's use.

HomeImprovementNinja said...

That looks EXACTLY like my old cat Peekaboo (named so because, as a kitten, she would hide under the fridge when someone rang the doorbell). Cassiopeia (sp?) is a good name.

I love tuxedo cats.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.