Friday, July 21, 2006

Spying on myself

Ha. I'd been wondering who in McLean read my blog (maybe real spies or something), but I just realized that our provider must be in McLean. I, therefore, am my own spy. Sigh. Well, I guess I can be relieved, since I don't REALLY want the government watching what I write.

Though, speaking of government, Bush's speech to the NAACP seemed like canned crap. Full of warm fuzzies and no real substance. Anyways.

Today has not gotten off to a great start. Not a bad start. But not a great one. First of all, my shoes. I bought three pairs of comfortable shoes, for the sole (!) purpose of looking professional while not dying. I've worn two of the three pairs this week. And I have blisters. But, see, I don't really blame the shoes. I blame my skin. I have had ridiculously sensitive skin. The other day I was holding bottles while shopping at CVS. Held the bottles for a few minutes, and a few minutes only. I had little red dents on my arms for HOURS. The shoes? don't even hurt. I don't even feel them rub until the blisters pop out. It's just annoying. Then, some jerk on the metro shoved her way on. It wasn't even crowded. Everyone was going to be able to get on the train. And she just pushed her way past everyone, squeezing by some poor old woman to steal her seat. It was mean. Then this tourist starts chatting with a commuter. I have no respect for this commuter. None at all. And here is why. First, she keeps telling this guy that he should go to the Newseum. Which might be great. IF IT WERE OPEN. And, even if it were open, he wouldn't be able to find it since she said it was still in Arlington. Now that was not so bad. Uninformed, yes, old news, yes, but not that bad. The thing that made me lose the most respect for her? The tourist asks her where she works. She replies, "The IMF." Seeing his blank look, she tries to say what IMF stands for. AND CANNOT. She gets as far as "international" and then ends with, "I dunno, something to do with money." I mean, honestly. I would be mildly suprised if someone around here didn't know what the IMF was, just due to the protests and politics here. But for someone working there to not know what the anagram is for? And it's not like it's hard... IMF=International Monetary Fund. I kind of wanted to smack her. Then she was all like, "I just got married, so I'm not thinking too well." Yeah, did all the sex destroy your brain?! Because we might want to have scientists look into that. I mean, if too much sex kills brain cells, the religious right might have a point they could use. I could understand if she was distracted during an intellectual discussion by thoughts of her new marriedness. But give me a break.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe she was a temp and was going the IMF (International Monetary Fund, correct?) just for a few days.

And maybe she is strictly getting married so she doesn't have to work anymore. Or maybe she married and up and coming politician so all she has to do is smile and look pretty while to pretending to care about education or some other cause.

Either way, what an idiot.

Of course, I'm imagining if that conversation happened on the el train in Chicago, I think at least 3 people would have butted in telling the tourist different things. Ahh the midwest.

Are you going to visit us here in middle America ever?
WE MISS YOU!

And for the record, I kind of am addicted to your blog.

Rebecca said...

Yeah, I lost all pity for people on the metro. There is no excuse for them anymore. I think commuting may be having a bad affect on me...

And I have been to middle America... just not Chicago. And when are you going to come to the Mid-Atlantic? Seriously, I do want to get over there at some point. Tickets are just so expensive and I don't have much vacation time.

اخبار المملكة said...

شركة تنظيف مفروشات بالاحساء