Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Where's Paula Deen when you need her?



This picture makes me smile every time I look at it. I love my kitty, who is the sweetest, cutest kitty in the world. If only she would cuddle more... I shall just have to teach her.

So, SB (Spyboy) and I went to a new restaurant last night for Restaurant Week. We were both... rather disappointed, although the sweet tea was splendid. We went to Indigo Landing, a Southern restaurant right on the Potomac near National Airport. The view was great, though the restaurant itself didn't foster the peaceful feeling the view produced. Inside, it was loud and echoed like mad. The staff was very friendly, although SB's drink frequently went unfilled. That's not THAT uncommon, since he drinks like a camel. The food was just okay. I mean, for $60 I expect pretty good. It was plentiful and I definitely left full, but... I had the chicken. It was supposed to be stuffed with a cheese fondue. It wasn't. It was barbequed, on the bone, and sitting on a mixture of overly small pieces of dark meat, vegetables, and frankly what tasted like Velveeta. SB got roast pork which he said was too dry, though the cornbread mixture that came with it was really good. Then I got pecan pie (or tart, rather) for dessert. It came with mint julep ice cream which was amazingly good. If you could freeze the essence of biting into a mint leave, that would pretty much be this ice cream. The pecan tart, though, was crap. The crust was dry and crumbly, and the filling was basically pecans with caramel so stiff, it made my jaw and teeth hurt. It just was not that good. So we've decided that next time we want to splurge on a meal, we'll just go all the way and go to 2941. Which honestly was one of the best meals I've had. EVER. With great atmosphere. So much more worth the money.

It is becoming clearer and clearer to me that I need to leave. Not the city, just the organization. And it's not even that I hate this organization. It's more that I don't feel as though it is advancing me at all toward something that will make me happy. I think about getting a raise or more responsibility and both would alleviate the situation, but it wouldn't be fixed. The fact is I'm ready to move on. The only real question now is how and to where.

5 comments:

Liberal Banana said...

Ah, restaurant week. BF and I are on a "no eating out" rule until we leave for our trip to Colorado in a week and a half. Trying to save money and our waistlines!

Your kitty is so cute!!!

Washington Cube said...

I've read mixed things about Indigo Landing. If the atmosphere isn't tranquil, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the locale? I may be in the minority, but I am anti-Restaurant Week. I keep hearing about indifferent meals and surly staff. I say save your pennies and have a bang up meal at a top of the line restaurant, rather than think you will find value this week.

roosh said...

i am going to steal your cat to replace furball

Anonymous said...

you must leave and go to oxford or just grad school in general. you need a challenge, madame and you're not getting that there.

your kitty is very adorable - so tiny! if i didn't have two of my own, i'd contemplate stealing her. :)

*smooch!*
the whitney

Rebecca said...

LB: Colorado? I love Colorado... So much fun. I grew up there (kind of) and my mom still has occasional pangs of regret that we wound up in Tennessee. Your trip will be SO much better than Restaurant Week.

Washington Cube: Yeah, the noise versus view thing bothered me. I mean, I know they spent a lot of money fixing the place up. You'd think they would have planned on making it quieter. And I'm starting to be more anti-Restaurant Week, especially for dinner. It seems like a good deal, but only for a few, really expensive restaurants.

dcb: I'd like to see you try... Though I bet people would go watch HER approved video clips.

Whit: I know, love. I registered for the GRE today.