Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Go vote!

I am highly amused by the fact that everyone in my office who actually has voted (all but two of us) is actually wearing the "I voted!" sticker. I'm wearing mine because I wanted to make sure my boss knew that that was why I was late. Why she's wearing one, I don't know. Maybe she genuinely wants the world to know that she voted.

This is the first mid-term election I've voted in. (Don't yell! It's the first one I've been eligible to, except for the one in 2002 and I wasn't registered then because I was a lazy college student.) It definitely is the first election I've felt like my vote counted. Voting in 2004 in Tennessee was kind of a protest vote. I still did it, but I knew Bush was going to win the state no matter what I did. Funny how I moved from one of the most competitive states now to another. I'm glad. I can't be hitting myself in the head for changing my voter registration from Tennessee to Virginia because either state could be swayed by my vote. I HAVE THE POWER!!!

3 comments:

JordanBaker said...

I wore mine because I knew I had to walk past at least one other polling place in the course of my day, and I wanted to keep them from harrassing me.

Anonymous said...

hurrah! hurrah! i'm glad you voted because i made a new rule about people in my life: if you didn't vote, you can't complain about politics. :)
-whit

Rebecca said...

Jordan Baker: How nice to be able to walk by a polling place. I had to go WAY out of my way (or at least almost a mile) to vote.

Whit: Yeah, that's always been my policy. Stupid non-voting whiners.