Monday, January 29, 2007

Catching Up

I'm very sad about the whole Barbaro thing, so I'm going to ignore it and write on happier topics.

I talked to Emily yesterday. It was funny. It was like the first time in over a year that we've talked, and I'd thought about calling her earlier, like last weekend. But there was the whole general malaise, and I was a bit worried that we wouldn't have anything to talk about. Ha. Um. Our short little call turned into a nearly two hour call. Apparently, I am somewhat responsible for her friend's (Jana? Something like that) addiction to the DC blog scene. J, as I shall call you because I'm pretty sure at least that your name starts with that letter (You may pretend to be from Men In Black if you'd like), please don't judge all of DC by the blogging scene. It's a bit crazed. Which, actually, is like DC and probably an accurate representation of teh populace. But there are some non-crazed people here, such as myself. So don't write us all off. It was also nice to get blogging validation. I kind of waver on what my blog should be, and wind up writing whatever pleases me. I feel my blog may have a bit of an identity crisis at times. But to hear that someone likes it enough to be sucked into the blog scene... Now that just gives me warm fuzzies.

Emily is, of course, doing lovely. We did have a possible insight into the lack of guys who dare to ask girls like us out, and we decided a good portion of it could be our age. See, early to mid-twenties is a time full of self-discovery, and figuring out who you are. A good deal of this involves going through crap where you doubt lots of stuff about yourself. Now, Emily and I and a good portion of my good friends are the type of girls who are strong in and of themselves. We don't need a guy to protect us or tell us what to do or think. We need guys who are as strong as we are, so they can be our partners, and we really won't accept anything else. These types of guys at our age are still figuring out who they are. They can't be strong enough for us yet because they aren't sure how much strength they've got. Now obviously there are exceptions to everything, blah, blah, blah. But the fact is that I think the world of most of my friends and I know that eventually they will all meet people who make them utterly happy and who fit them to a tee. Now I probably won't say that these eventual guys will be worthy of them. But I know that they are out there, being put through the fire, so that they will at least come close.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I can give you warm fuzzies! And I definitely always thought of D.C. as being semi-boring, but the blog scene has changed my mind. Everyone seems very upbeat and energetic!
~J

Rebecca said...

Yeah, they also are petty, superficial, and political. It's kind of a mixed bag. You have people who want to change the world mixed in with people who just want power. Plus a hugely high number of young, highly educated people. It's a little crazy. But entertaining to read about. :-)

honeykbee said...

My fear is that men of ANY age are still figuring out who they are and therefore unworthy of us (if I can be so bold and presumptuous as to include myself in your "we")?

But, you know what they say-- “Men are like a fine wine. They all start out like grapes, and it's our job to stomp on them and keep them in the dark until they mature into something you'd like to have dinner with.”

Rebecca said...

It is a risk. I mean, you only have to read the DC blogs (I may be biased against some...) to realize that some guys don't mature. But there have to be some guys who make it past the annoying, "You are too strong!" phase; otherwise, where would new strong women come from?

And I had forgotten about that quote. I like that quote.