Thursday, May 17, 2007

Stop staring at me! (Or not.)

I'm finally auditioning for a non-church choir. I'm kind of excited, though I'd be more excited if I didn't have to sing my prepared piece acappella. I'm not a big fan of that. Especially since I tend to go sharp when nervous. Plus I have to drive into DC and every time I've tried to go somewhere in particular, particularly places in NW, I get lost. Luckily, the common factor seems to be trying to take 395 into the city, and this time I get to take 50. I can handle that. I hope. Otherwise I guess I'll just be massively late.

I was reading an article on how young people have a completely different idea of privacy than those in their mid-30's. I would link to it, but I'm too lazy. It was interesting, though. I mean, even when I wrote in my diary, I imagined an audience. This blog is just an expansion of that. Does that mean that I was already being impacted by a new thought on privacy when I was only 10? I mean, the internet wasn't really popular then... Did people in previous eras NOT imagine that someone, someday would read what they had written?

Then there is the whole fact that we all basically expect every aspect of our lives to be recorded. By someone at least. I wonder, though, if my age group in particular is more or less circumspect when it comes to what we put online. I wouldn't post anything on any social networking site that I didn't want future bosses to see. Well, that's not entirely true. It probably wouldn't look great all my complaining on here about my job. But if they did see it, I'd be perfectly willing to discuss why I wrote what I did. I definitely wouldn't put up anything that could get me fired. Although these days, anything you put up could get you fired, it seems. Either way, I'm always aware that someone might read stuff, or find pictures, or decide to stalk and eat me. Whatev.

4 comments:

Xiannon said...

How did the audition go? Or maybe I should ask how did the driving heading towards the audition go? Sometimes, that's actually more important.

I don't know if I ever thought someone would read my diary as a kid...perhaps it's an only child thing or perhaps I was naive. :)

Rebecca said...

It went... okay. It was honestly one of the more intense auditions, which is just weird since no one there really has a musical related degree or career. I mean, I had to sing a scale, flat tone until I got to the top and then I was supposed to crescendo into a vibrato. Which is strange for a vocal audition. And sing a scale crescendoing from mp to mf. I did all right, but then he wanted me to sing augmented fourths and repeat strange Asian rhythms... We'll see. Not for like a month, but we'll see.

Xiannon said...

Woah. That sounds really random. Glad it went well though!

Rebecca said...

Thanks, I did totally get lost on the way. Or not really lost, since I knew where I was, but more misplaced... Stupid Mall...