Monday, August 20, 2007

A Dark Fairy Tale

Last night. my parents and I watched Pan's Labyrinth. I had strangely enough forgotten that it was in Spanish, and so didn't get the knitting done that I had planned. I seriously am so in love with my shawl that I'm making. It's silk, variegated purple, and has lace edging. It's going to be gorgeous.

Anyways, missing the knitting was probably a good thing. OMG. That movie. I can't stop thinking about it. It was so bizarre and beautiful and horrible. It played with the differences between true life and fantasy, the ending reminding me of the ending of my favorite story that I wrote, meaning that you weren't quite sure what had happened. The people were either amazing, or completely awful, more evil than you can usually imagine. Or at least more evil than I want to think about people being. I did enjoy that the strongest characters were women, for the most part. The imagery was dark and sensuous and reminiscent of The Brothers Grimm, but with more meaning and depth.

The only problem with this whole movie (besides the gruesome imagery. I mean, really. I don't actually need to see someone whose mouth has been cut opened.) was that it has put my laziness and my curiosity opposite each other. I want to find the myths that this was based on, I want to see what the history is really like, I can't for the life of me remember the other movie made by the other Spanish director that was up for an Oscar... But then I'd actually have to do research and whatnot. We're going to ignore the ramifications this laziness might have on my career as a grad student...

2 comments:

HomeImprovementNinja said...

Hey! That movie was amazing. You should listen to the director's commentary on the DVD. It gives a lot of background on how he did certain things and what they represent. For instance (and I didn't notice this until I heard it and re-watched it) but in the scenes with the captain, the background usually has straight lines in it, but in the scenes with the girl (especially in the labyrinth) there are usually curves and circles in the background.

Rebecca said...

I did actually want to watch the commentary, but my parents (alas) returned it before I could... Maybe I'll check it out again, though. I wouldn't mind rewatching it, anyways.