Thursday, September 04, 2008

And the housing woes continue

So the move is (mostly) complete. I say mostly, because while I am moved in (but not unpacked), the girl I thought was going to be my roommate backed out two days ago. And so now I am left scrambling, although a loverly girl from my knitting group is helping out and her friend might be interested. Seriously. That group is AWESOME. I [heart] them.

(Although I do wonder at some of the stronger friendships in the group. They seem… somewhat mismatched. Not that it is at ALL any of my business or whatnot. It’s just interesting to watch.)

Anyways, so the stress I thought would abate so far has not. Which I believe is the cause for me falling apart. My foot has started hurting. Not my right foot. That would make sense. That was the foot I hurt last year in the horror of last year’s move (When am I going to have a move without drama and big pieces suddenly falling apart????), and so I occasionally still have problems with it. But no. This time my left foot has decided to hurt. I don’t know why. I kind of hit it with a box, but I don’t think it was hard enough to do any real damage.

And with the start of school… it’s piling up on me, all that I have to do. Cassie, on the other hand, seems to have reentered a stress-free life. The past month or so stressed her out (I think. She is a cat. It can be hard to tell.) as people moved in and out and one of those people brought a dog. But now she runs around, grooms her tunnel, lays sprawled out on the floor… Makes me a bit jealous, actually.

The one good thing is that I do really like my new place. My room, for one, is giant and so I don’t feel claustrophobic at all. And the whole place is full of light and it’s cozy and nice. And everyone I’ve met at the complex has been so friendly, it’s a little ridiculous. The building manager (an older retiree who just does this because he likes it) seems to know everyone around and was giving me tips on who would hook me up because we live in the same place, who could give me advice on bike routes where I won’t die (Seriously, me on a bike in 6 lanes of traffic=death in my mind), and he called me a model to someone on the phone when I walked in. Just adorable.

Now if only I wasn’t losing money by the day by paying double rent…

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is everything going? Did you find a roommate?

Rebecca said...

Everything else is going well. Still no roommate, though. I'm going to get an ulcer, I think...

Anonymous said...

At least you are not at CVWF and having to work their Annual Meeting

Anonymous said...

Why mismatched? And why interesting? And if you don't me asking... who are you specifically talking about?

Rebecca said...

Interesting and mismatched for the same reason. Mainly, I like to pretend that I know all, and some of these people are not who I would have said would be good friends. I mean, in general, it's a pretty broad-ranging group and everyone seems to get along great. And I'm still figuring out how everyone fits together, which also adds to the interesting aspect.

Anonymous said...

That's just restating what you said in almost the same words. They're mismatched because they're interesting? and vice versa? That doesn't answer WHY we're mismatched and WHY we're interesting.

And just my opinion... we all "fit together" through knitting. Being women. Living in the same area. The list goes on. We're not all that mismatched at all really. Unless you consider mismatched having separate personalities...

Rebecca said...

Oi. You are making me think about this much more than when I wrote the entry. But I shall try and be specific.

Yes, we are all brought together by knitting and being in the same area and being women and whatnot. But having those things in common doesn't make a community, and it's not what keeps people coming. Being a woman doesn't mean I have much in common with all women, I've met tons of people in the area I don't get along with, and I've not gotten along with many knitters. I've been to other knitting groups in the area, and not liked them at all. Yet here we have a group of people with vastly different personalities, personality types I've rarely seen in the same group (for example, I've never been in a group that got along so well that included both a Susan and an Ayana, both of whom are cool but in TOTALLY different ways). We have a pretty decent range of ages, places in life, outlooks on life, interests outside of knitting. And all of these personalities are not only welcomed, they are supported. People meet up outside of designated knitting times, people are willing to do things like help move and fix stuff and just be there when someone needs them. The group is interesting because it not only includes people who would seem to be brought together mainly by a hobby and a location, but it allows those people to realize the other things they have in common while fostering diversity and relationships. That isn't common, at least not in my experience.

Mismatched, however, might not have been the best word, but it also wasn't used to describe the whole group, but some of the stronger friendships. I also didn't say people were mismatched, but that they would seem to be so. Clearly, people who form strong friendships in any group have things in common, and I, as a newer member, don't always see those connections, so they sometimes are a bit unexpected for me. The whole comment was less a comment about the realities of the group and more one about my perceptions and inability to judge how people are going to fall together there, mainly because my experiences in supportive groups previously doesn't include such an all-inclusive one.