Friday, May 12, 2006

Peace, man

I just had a cab driver flash me the peace sign. I'm not sure exactly what this means, but I'm assuming it's good. It could be because of either my cute new haircut, or my obnoxious tacky shoes. But they make my pronating feet feel good! I also now have "The Babysitter's Here" by Dar Williams in my head.

Anyways, the New York Times magazine this week had an article about contraception. Apparently some among the religious right have decided to sign on with the Catholic Church in claiming that contraception is amoral. They would like to ban it. The main federal issue where this has come up is in the FDA's approval, or lack there of, of Plan B. Now I know that some people argue that Plan B is an abortive drug, because in some small unknown percentage of cases, usually when taken after the 72 hour recommended mark, it can prevent a fertilized embryo from attaching. As a sidenote, apparently breast feeding can also have this effect. The fact that this argument exists shows that the lines between abortion and contraception are blurring. The use of contraception has supposedly increased promiscuity by promoting a false sense of security, while allowing married couples to focus on sex too much. I would say an underlying, non-admitted theme is that not having babies all the time has allowed women to enter the workforce, obviously an evil side-effect...

Now this makes me frustrated and mad and is yet another reason why I hestitate sometimes to mention that I am a Christian. These people are giving the rest of us a bad name. And what the hell are they smoking? Do they really think that banning contraception is going to prevent ANYTHING? Teenagers are still going to go out and have sex, STD rates will rise, abortion rates will probably rise. The anti-contraception argument is that if there is not the possibility of a child, then sex is somehow trivialized or taking over the relationship. No matter what, the people quoted sound like morons, and their publications blantantly lie or stretch the truth. I only hope that they try to take this bigger, so that maybe the rest of America will actually get up and do something, rather than let a portion of the country dictate laws based upon religious beliefs for everyone else.

3 comments:

Liberal Banana said...

I hear ya -- it's so frustrating. What the hell are these people thinking?? They're nuts, that's what they are.

Rebecca said...

Yeah, we should find an island, ship them off to it, and see what they do when they run out of resources because they bred like rabbits. It could be a reality tv show/sociology experiment. And if someone 'sees the light' and becomes normal, viewers could vote on whether or not they can enter the real world again.

On a slightly more serious note, it frightens me mainly because while most of America does not agree with them, most of America is also too lazy and apathetic to fight them.

Teacher lady said...

Hi, over here from Liberal Banana. This is one of my big issues - the U.S. and teen pregnancy rates? Oh, we are the winners. The winners of the "Here's what happens when lots of stupid teenagers have kids" prize. I don't get it either. But if Canada were just a tad warmer, we would have moved there a long time ago.